Friday, May 1, 2009

Can you see me now?






If I woke up one day and had the opportunity to obtain a superpower, I would choose to be invisible. I am the type of person who has to be “in the know” of things. I do not like ambiguous situations; so by having the option to turn invisible in different situations I would know everything that I felt unsure about.
I would use my invisibility powers in different scenarios. For example, as I am entering my first year of college, I am becoming more interested in politics and how the government’s officials run our country. When I watch the news, I find myself questioning our leader’s motives, decisions and ethics. If I could become invisible, I would place myself in our nation’s capital at the White House and wander around the halls listening in on conversations and attending important confidential foreign affairs meetings. This would give me the chance to see the scandals, corruption of power and the true political motives behind closed doors, that seem to blind our officials from the line of good and evil. Truly then, I could form an honest opinion on my political views and what kind of leadership I want for my country.
Every family has their famous kept secrets that the adults are forbidden to tell the children. Every year, my rather large family has the traditional family reunion where everyone comes together and pretend they all get along in harmony. It is quite comical to watch in my shoes. The gossip, the whispering and the awkward silences that take place at our picnics and so called “relaxful” vacations. Every year it’s always someone new that’s in the hot seat and up for the criticism, but most of the time I’m left out of the loop. I wonder if that’s because it has been me all this time. If I could be invisible I would always be up to date with the latest “top secret” family information. I know everyone makes mistakes and in my family’s case, dysfunction is forever. If I could turn invisible around my auntie Sue and watch her in the kitchen gossiping with my mother, I would finally get the scoop on Grandpa Joe’s history and why he’s so moody all the time and maybe they will slip a story about his Vietnam days that I can never get him to talk with me about. Then, maybe they will explain why Auntie Sue’s husband doesn’t get along with my auntie Jess which is something that my cousins and I have always been curious to know about!
If I could be invisible even just for a day, I would know everything that I wanted to know from how our government is being ran, to the sitcom series of my family’s drama. I could finally obtain information that I have been pondering on and use it to my advantage if I wanted. Boy, that would be some gift to have!

No comments:

Post a Comment